You know the feeling.
You open the fridge and instead of frozen food you see – water dripping.
- Dread sinks from your head to the pit of your stomach.
- Thoughts race…
- Where can I put this stuff to prevent it from spoiling?
- Who can I get to come and repair it?
- How soon can they get here?
- Yup, this happened to me four days ago.
It’s an older refrigerator so I thought perhaps it had died.
- I haven’t been especially fond of new appliances, but that’s another story.
- Thank goodness I know a good repairman.
- I called. His brother answered. They had split up the business.
- He had no idea where his brother was or how to reach him.
- And he couldn’t get here for five days.
- Texted friends.
- Anyone know where he is?
- Do you know anyone else?
Did a google search for someone in the area.
- It was 4:45 PM. Would they still be open?
- The woman who answered said they come if someone’s refrigerator isn’t working.
- They would be here that evening.
- Thank you, Lord.
He needed a part that wouldn’t be here for two working days.
- It was Friday.
- That meant Tuesday.
- He graciously showed us how to keep it running until then.
- It’s Tuesday and I’m waiting for his arrival later this afternoon.
I’ve had a crash course in deciding what can be saved, how to save it, and how to decide the difference.
- I should have had a refrigerator thermometer. For a few dollars, my decision making would have been much easier.
- If the temperature hasn’t gone above 40 degrees everything should be ok.
- This chart was very helpful about individual items.
- Another thing I had recently read is that meat thawed in the refrigerator can be refrozen.
- Meat thawed on the counter can’t be refrozen unless you cook it first.
I’ve had to throw a lot of food away, which is really difficult for me.
- But when in doubt throw it out.
- Better to waste some food than give your family food poisoning.
Preparing ahead of time would have been a good idea.
- This website has some great ideas that don’t seem too difficult.
Do you have anything to add?
Or have you been through another appliance breaking?
Share your story in the comments.
Please use the form at the right. We will not share your address.
©First Fruit Designs
©Write the Vision
All rights reserved