You don’t? Why not?
I don’t even remember when or why we started celebrating the days that our children were reborn, but it’s a great idea. When they were younger we would talk about where they were when they made a commitment to the Lord, how it happened, and who was with them. I think doing these things kept their commitment fresh in their minds and reminded them that it was a sober thing to commit your life to the living God.
Some ways to celebrate:
- Help them retell where and when they made a commitment. This is a good opportunity to talk with younger siblings since this will probably raise some questions.
- Make their favorite dinner.
- Buy a small gift – We spent about $5. For instance, Eric gave his life to the Lord at a cabin we rent. He and Dan were down on the dock and got to discussing it. We usually give him a fishing lure. He will have a lot of reminders.
- Talk about it as a family – possibly at dinner – about the importance of committing your life to the Lord and the changes it will make in your life. Talk about why you celebrate. I usually say, “I’m so glad you were born, but I’m REALLY glad you were reborn.
- Encourage them to grow in their faith.
- Give them some examples of how you’ve seen them growing in faith.
- Suggest something they could read.
- Help them get into the habit of a daily quiet time, worshiping, reading Scripture and writing in a journal.
One of our daughters suggested that is is a birthday with no downside – you aren’t even getting older, but perhaps growing in wisdom.
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. John 3:5-7 KJV
Tell me if you celebrate rebirthdays and if you do anything special.
[Tweet “One of our daughters suggested that is is a birthday with no downside – you aren’t even getting older, but perhaps growing in wisdom”]
Please sign up for my newsletter so I can send you your free copy of Dan’s Doodles I (Your address will not be shared)
Proclaiming God’s Faithfulness at:
Check out my Link Up page for other places I may link to during the week.
©Write the Vision
All rights reserved