I know it’s a bit late to be wishing you a happy New Year, but I feel like I’m finally getting started with the new year.
We celebrate Epiphany so our decorations and tree are still up. We have a birthday on January 5th so we just celebrated that last weekend and now I’m ready to head into the new year.
I’ve spent considerable time seeking what my goals for this year should be. I didn’t choose a word, I never have. I don’t know why I just haven’t. But I have set some goals. I actually began working on them in September while we were on vacation.
Seeking the Lord
Each day while we were on vacation I spent some time just sitting quietly before the Lord listening for what He might be saying to be about what I should be doing.
- My son had just gotten married.
- I kept getting older.
- My thoughts kept seeking to know how to use whatever time the Lord gives me.
I didn’t have any big revelations.
Each day I listened quietly to hear what He might say to me.
Each day a word seemed to stick in my mind.
- Lose 40 pounds.
- Write that book I’ve asked you to write.
- Get your home in order.
- Read more.
- Spend more time with real-life friends.
- Save some energy for Dan at the end of the day.
The Lord didn’t just leave me with a list but gave some specific directions.
- Lose weight by eating according to hungry and full, one bread per meal, no snacking after dinner. I have a heart condition and the best thing I could do for myself is lose some weight.
- Get my home in order. He didn’t mean because I’m messy, because, for the most part, I’m not. It is an encouragement for me to downsize. He had been speaking to me about this for some time. We may have to downsize our home soon so I want to be ready. I don’t want my children to have to go through all my “stuff” if He calls me home.
- Read more.
- Save energy for Dan. Some days that means falling asleep in my chair at 3 PM for a nap. I try not to do so much in a day that I don’t have anything left for him when he gets home.
Since September I’ve been taking some things out of my life to allow me to focus on the things I think the Lord has asked me to do. It has seemed natural to let go of the things he’s prompted me to stop. Dan has agreed whole-heartedly to the goals above. So off I go!
Has the Lord been speaking to you about goals, your word for the year, or a Scripture verse to focus on this year? Share with us in the comments. If you leave a comment I will pray for you.
I would like to receive encouraging weekly emails about Biblical marriage, parenting, and homemaking. I really want to be encouraged! Yes! Please sign me up. Please use the form at the right. Your address will not be shared.
©Write the Vision
All rights reserved
Please note that we participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program.
AFFILIATE LINKS DISCLOSURE:
Write the Vision does provide links to different products, retailers or organizations on our site. We may also place affiliate links on sidebars. We encourage you to follow these links and check them out. If you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we will make a commission from the sale, without any additional cost to you. We only recommend things that we have used personally and love.