Pat-In-Pan Pie Crust from Cooking From Quilt Country by Marcia Adams
- 1½ cups of flour + 3 Tablespoons
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 Tablespoons cold milk
- Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the pie pan and mix with fingertips until evenly blended. Cooking from Quilt Country
- In a measuring cup combine the oil and milk and beat until creamy.
- Pour all at once over the flour mixture. Mix with a fork until the flour mixture is completely moistened.
- Pat the dough with your fingers, first at the sides of the plate and then across the bottom.
- Flute the edges.
- Shell is now ready to be filled.
- If you are preparing a shell to fill later or your recipe requires a prebaked crust, preheat oven to 425.
- Prick the surface of the pastry with a fork and bake 15 minutes.
- Check often and prick more if needed.
- We often mix up the dry ingredients and store them in zipper bags so it takes less time if we want to make a quiche or pie unexpectedly. I've come a long way since those store bought crusts.
Find Cooking from Quilt Country here: https://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Quilt-Country-Mennonite-Kitchens/dp/0517568136