Living More Intentionally
In 1996 my husband and I decided we wanted to live more intentionally.
- We wanted to be sure we were doing what the Lord had planned for us as individuals and as a family.
- In 2007 we shared our plan in our book Purposeful Planning .
- Each January we get together as a family for a number of days of praying and planning.
- First we look at our accomplishments from the previous year.
- Then we look at the long term plans we think the Lord has for us to see if we are still going in the right direction.
- We pray and ask the Lord to tell us if He wants us to make changes or if our plans remain the same.
- Then we made adjustments as we set our course for the coming year.
If this seems difficult, it is!
- We use vacation time to do this.
- As our children have gotten older it takes more time so we use a week of vacation time now.
- Sometimes it is difficult work to wait upon the Lord for direction.
- It is hard work to change in areas where you are failing.
- It’s challenging to share your heart, even with someone you love.
- More time is necessary to work through and pray with your children as they grow up and a kiss no longer fixes their boo boos.
But…it makes an enormous difference in your families life!
- That’s what I plan to share in the next few web posts.
- Yes, I’ll share some of the how to’s.
- I will share about the changes we’ve made and the differences they have made in our lives.
- I will also share some excerpts from our book Purposeful Planning so you will hopefully catch a vision of your own.
This is the Scripture we’ve based our book on.
“Where there is no vision, the people perish.” Proverbs 29:18
Where is the Lord leading your family?
Are you doing what you need to do to get there?
How to get a vision for where the Lord wants your family to be.
Dedicated to my dear husband Daniel, who dragged me off kicking and screaming to our first planning weekend in 1996. I didn’t want to leave my “babies” and I certainly didn’t want to set goals.
Little did I know then that these weekends would become one of the highlights of our year, with all of us looking forward to seeking the Lord’s will for our family.
Thank you, Dan, for consistently helping me to get what I need long before I even know that I need it.
The above dedication to my husband from the original Purposeful Planning still stands. However, little did we know that the success of our e-book would eventually lead to a revision and the possibility of a print edition.
We continue to do our yearly planning and have grown greatly from the input from you, our readers, so we will be including some of the things you have learned and taught us from your own planning times.
Continuing to find Joy in the Journey,
About the Author (We are married for 33 years now and the children have gotten older too.)
Phyllis has been the joyful wife of her best friend Daniel for 26 years, and became a stay-at-home mom 23 years ago after retiring from a management position.
She has homeschooled their three children, Emily (23), Rebekah (21), and Eric (19), for the past 18 years. She is now working on “Home College.”
Phyllis continues to be passionate about family life, parenting, home education, and her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Most days you can find her being contented at home and proclaiming God’s faithfulness at: http://www.Phyllis-Sather.com.
She has been writing for as long as she can remember and has had articles published in several internationally-distributed magazines. She also enjoys writing for her homeschool support group and several local publications.
It is her hope that you will catch a vision for her title verse: “Where there is no vision, the people perish.” and that you will also find that with a vision, families flourish.
Her desire is that this book will glorify God and be a blessing to other families.
Find her online at: http://www.Phyllis-Sather.com
Contact her – Phyllis@Phyllis-Sather.com
Author’s note: We have always offered either an e-book copy or MP3 file of Purposeful Planning to all military families free of charge. If you are a military family and have already purchased it, please e-mail me and I will gladly refund your money. If you know a military family who would benefit from this material, please have them contact me.
Some of the chapters:
In the Beginning
A Step of Faith
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions
First Things First
Some Answers to Our Questions
Ways Other Families Have Made This Work
Sather Planning Weekend Format
(We will not share your address)
©Write the Vision
All rights reserved