Is knowing where you are going important?
Let me ask you this.
You want to raise your children to be Godly men and women.
- You don’t go to church except perhaps Christmas and Easter.
- Never talk about God and the Bible at home.
- How likely do you think it is that they will grow up to be Godly men and women?
- I know that is rather simplistic, but think about other things that you would like to see happen in you or your family.
- Are you doing anything to make them happen?
- You have a dream to take your whole family to the UK.
- No effort has been made to determine the cost.
- Since you don’t know what it would cost you haven’t begun to save for it.
- You’ve done no exploring to see what you would like to do on your trip or think about an itinerary.
- Think it will happen? Probably not.
We actually did take our whole family to China for two+ weeks.
- It took about a year and a half to plan because we knew it was probably going to be a once in a lifetime trip.
- We started by reading aloud a three volume biography of Hudson Taylor.
- Then we watched Chariots of Fire, and read a book about Eric Liddell – A Boy’s War.
- We studied China in our homeschool
- You might ask why we would begin there. It built excitement in our family.
- We had missionary friends in Beijing so we interacted with them often.
- We picked a date!
- Dan was an elder at our church and they decided they would send us over to encourage our missionaries,
- and have Dan do some teaching on family life. The one child law was really taking a tole on Chinese couples.
- What fun it was to say that the church wouldn’t have to give us finances because we had been saving for this trip for a long time.
We enjoy travel
We did a trip to Williamsburg and to the UK in much the same way. When we went to Williamsburg our children were still younger and they were amazed to see that the things we read about were real. What fun to see the delight in their eyes.
Were they perfect trips? No! In fact it rained most of our time in Williamsburg and we had planned to camp. But that isn’t important. What was important was the memories we made and the fun we had as a family.
Our Scripture for our book Purposeful Planning is “Where there is no vision the people perish.” Proverbs 29:18
Vacations are just one of the things we discuss during our planning times. The above trips both began there and because we made plans they became a reality.
If you’ve found this material helpful please consider purchasing our ebook Purposeful Planning.
This is part 4. If you missed part 1, 2, or 3 you can find them at the following links.
Please sign up for my newsletter so I can send you your free copy of Dan’s Doodles I Fill out the form on the right and you will receive a download link. (Your address will not be shared)