5 Easy Steps to a More Organized Homeschool
A Look at the Big Picture
5 Easy Steps
- Each January Dan and I spend several days praying and planning for our next year—not just homeschool, but every area of our lives. See how we did it here: Purposeful Planning.
- What are your goals for this year? For five years from now? If you don’t know where you’re going, you will have difficulty getting there.
- We always started school in mid-August and took the first two weeks in September off for vacation.
- This gave us time to test our plan and talk and revise it during our time off.
- You will feel a lot more confident if you have lesson plans done ahead. I usually tried to get two or three months’ plans done before we started school so I wasn’t always flying by the seat of my pants.
- The year we started homeschooling, our 16-month-old son was diagnosed with leukemia. I struggled with how in the world I was going to handle three children under six, homeschool, and leukemia. Dan said, “If you get devotions and Scripture memory work done, consider it a good day.”
- You can catch up on academics, but character training needs to be done daily. It’s difficult to repair character issues, so we need to place these above academics. Training our children in Godly character must be at the top of the list. I know it’s challenging to stop in the middle of a lesson—again—to cover something we just dealt with five minutes ago, but you will reap the rewards down the road.
- Don’t rethink your decision to homeschool every year. When Eric had leukemia we learned a valuable lesson that we used often during our 21+ years of homeschooling. When things get tough or difficult or even seem impossible, we don’t look for a way out. Instead, we ask the Lord to help us get His view—His perspective. He’s the best consultant available, and He’s always ready and willing to help.
[Tweet ““And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” Gal 6:9 KJV””]
Place for everything and everything in its place
- Find a way to organize your school supplies that works for you. There are a lot of options online. Find the ones that will make your days flow smoothly.
- Relax, God really is in control.
- Stay in the Word. Do whatever is necessary to stay connected to the source.
“I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.” John 15:5 KJV
Please sign up for my newsletter so I can send you your free copy of Dan’s Doodles I Fill out the form on the right and you will receive a download link. (Your address will not be shared)